Skip to content

Videos of Hawaii Volcano’s New Eruption

March 6, 2011

The following videos were taken by the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory (USGS) this weekend and show a new fissure eruption near Pu`u O`o in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.

31 Comments leave one →
  1. March 7, 2011 8:09 am

You actually see the crack get larger in front of the videographer’s feet in video 2. That is some pretty daring filming.

2. March 7, 2011 8:10 am

Wow I fill bad for them that’s bad

3. March 7, 2011 11:10 am

Wow :o

4. J Roycroft permalink
    March 7, 2011 11:29 am

Fantastic video. Congrats on FP

5. Seth Ryan permalink
    March 7, 2011 11:41 am

Hardly unimaginable this earth’s core is so “violent” when you look at all the beauty on the thin outer layer of it…

6. March 7, 2011 12:43 pm

Pretty and scary at the same time. Hope it doesn’t get any worse.

7. March 7, 2011 1:10 pm

Oh my goodness.

8. March 7, 2011 2:44 pm

Wow Super cool pictures as eruption is happening right before your eyes!
    Thanks for sharing!

9. March 7, 2011 4:28 pm

Great video! I am an independent travel agent and have just started blogging and am looking for followers. My blog name is Dream Come True Travel. Thanks for the support!

10. March 7, 2011 4:59 pm

Wow! Seems a little dangerous to be so close! This is especially interesting to me because my family walked on the crusted crater beneath the hotel that sits up on the rim. It was so desolate, like some extra-terrestrial terrain from Star Trek, or the moon. I remember it being warm beneath our feet, too, and hot air escaped from small openings.

11. March 7, 2011 5:04 pm

Standing a bit too close there, no?
    Thanks for sharing, though — quite impressive and humbling!

12. March 7, 2011 6:09 pm

Wow! We were just there in September! May I suggest the Sunrise Lava Cruise?! Now the action should be SPECTACULAR!!

13. March 7, 2011 6:28 pm

Thanks for sharing. My son’s dream is to go to Hawaii to see the volcanoes. I showed him the videos, and I am pretty sure he just put more money in his Hawaii fund (aka piggy bank).

14. March 7, 2011 6:32 pm

I really liked the second one — watching the earth disappear and the magma start coming out of the fissure! Congrats on being freshly pressed – well deserved!

15. Jamie Catracchia permalink
    March 7, 2011 7:38 pm

I use to live in Hilo. I was at Kilauea Volcano back in 1983 when it first started erupting and it hasnt really stopped since. Hard to believe its been going 27 years now. I remember when it took its first house. The millions of dollars in damage it has done over the years is incredible. Something so beautiful yet so destructive…. so sad. These were great videos!!! Thanks for sharing!

16. March 7, 2011 7:54 pm

Remarkable film… TY!
    Congrats on being freshly pressed!
    Elizabeth

17. March 7, 2011 11:33 pm

OMG this is shocking…..

18. March 8, 2011 12:03 am

Cool videos. Thanks for sharing.

19. March 8, 2011 2:17 am

oh my goodness this is insane! its amazing what the earth can do

20. March 8, 2011 3:52 am

Awesome! The hubby and I were just chatting about Hawaii and wanting to one day go. Great videos, thanks for sharing and congrats on FP.

21. Miss Rusty McCurdy permalink
    March 8, 2011 9:04 pm

Mother Nature is having a bad week.

22. March 9, 2011 4:18 pm

This makes me homesick. Haha!

Trackbacks

1. News Databank :: Latest News :: Hawaii Volcano
  2. Hawaii Volcano Eruption
  3. Videos of Hawaii Volcano's New Eruption « Pacific Island National … | ENA news
  4. Videos of Hawaii Volcano's New Eruption « Pacific Island National … | Directory Assistance
  5. Small quakes herald fissure eruptions in Hawaii « The Trembling Earth
  6. Top Posts — WordPress.com
  7. Videos of Hawaii Volcano’s New Eruption (via Pacific Island National Parks) | Top world news online
  8. Hawaii Volcano Eruption | Daily Nano News