New Park Entrance Fees Approved for Haleakalā National Park
Increased entrance fees to Haleakalā National Park have been approved by the National Park Service. One significant modification to the new fee structure was based on public input.
Beginning on June 1, 2015, Haleakalā National Park daily fees will raise incrementally in 2015, 2016, and 2017 to meet national standards for parks with similar visitor amenities. The per-person fee will change from the current rate of $5 to $12 in 2017, in two-to-three dollar increments per year. The motorcycle fee will go from $5 to $20 in 2017, in $5 annual increases. The per-vehicle pass will be raised in $5 increments from the current price of $10 to $25 in 2017. The tri-park annual pass, considered by many to be a “locals” pass, will remain at the current rate of $25 in 2015 and 2016, and then increase to $30 in 2017. Based on public input, the park proposed a $30 fee for the tri-park annual pass instead of the national standard of $50.
The tri-park annual pass permits unlimited entry into Haleakalā National Park, Hawai`i Volcanoes National Park, and Pu’uhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical Park. Hawai`i Volcanoes National Park will implement the same fee changes as Haleakalā National Park.
From mid-October through mid-December 2014 a public comment period was held. Comments were gathered at visitor centers, online, via postal mail and email, and at two public meetings (one in Hana; one in Pukalani). The park received 58 comments fully supportive of the proposed increases; 23 supportive if the fees were phased in or lowered; 56 comments opposed to any fee increase; and 16 miscellaneous comments. The park modified the proposed fee structure based on this input. The modified proposal was approved by national fee managers in Washington.
Since 1997, fee revenues have funded $36.6 million in Haleakalā National Park projects. Some past examples of work include: $2.75 million of improved visitor amenities in Kīpahulu (new rest rooms, potable water, new parking lot); restoring trails throughout the park ($500,000 annually); and completing archeological surveys ($499,500 in 2010). Entrance fees also supported the control of invasive species ($299,000, in 2013); stabilization of silversword populations ($60,000 annually, 2012-13); and restoration of native landscapes ($113,000 in 2013).
The current National Park Service fee program began in 1997 and allows parks to retain 80% of monies collected. The remaining 20% goes into a fund to support park units where fees are not charged. Currently Haleakalā National Park collects $3 million annually in entrance fees. When entrance fee increases are fully implemented, estimated annual revenues will be over $7 million.
In 2014, 1,142,040 visitors to Haleakalā National Park spent over $70 million in communities near the park. That spending supported 837 jobs in the local area and had a cumulative benefit to the local economy of over $84 million.